Regional Polar Pubs and online activities during Polar week 19 – 25 March.
APECS Sweden is holding gatherings across the country during Polar week. Events are being planned for Göteborg, Stockholm, Umeå, and Uppsala. Each event starts with fika and talks followed by a lunch or dinner at a nearby restaurant or pub. Stay tuned for more details from each regional centre or contact your local representative.
There are also many opportunities to engage online and internationally: check out APECS International page for ideas
In conjunction with PolarForum, APECS Sweden is organising the following activities.
You don’t need to register, just bring your poster next Tuesday!
Save the date! On Wednesday 20th September, there will be an APECS Sweden event on each coast!
Stockholm starts its Polar Pub series
The concept? Two short talks by volunteers, then social evening at the pub.
If you want to volunteer, contact Corinna or Rhiannon.
Uppsala people, APECS Sweden pays for your travel to Stockholm if you want to attend.
20th September, 16.30, KTH for talks, or directly at 18.00 at the “Man on the Moon” on Tegnérgatan
Gothenburg has its second annual Polar conference
A whole afternoon with a poster session and four invited presentations:
- Robert Björk, Towards a more comprehensive understanding of Arctic shrub expansion;
- Aleksandra Mazur, Iceberg classification and tracking in the Amundsen Sea, Antarctica;
- Mauricio Fuentes, Tree-ring climate signal from southern Patagonia and teleconnections with the Southern Ocean;
- Wiebke Aldenhoff, Radar remote sensing of Arctic sea ice.
20th September, starting at 15.00 in GVC Hörsalen.
If you want to bring a new poster, APECS Sweden pays for the printing costs.
Register here to be included in the fika. Pub to be announced after the registration is closed.
Studying social sciences gives us all plenty of opportunities to use scientific knowledge and skills, not only for a career in academia, but also in governance, community development, planning and many other areas. Learn with us about opportunities and challenges in career choices for early career Arctic social science researchers, both inside and outside academia!
The Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) will be organising a panel discussion on “Careers opportunities in Arctic Social Sciences” during the 9th International Congress on Arctic Social Sciences (ICASS) (8-12 June 2017, Umeå, Sweden), where you will have an opportunity to hear career experiences of our excellent panelists that we hope would be inspiring for your future career choices.
Join us on 8 June 2017 at 14:30 at Umeå University in room MC313.
Meet our panelists:
- Mare Pit (German Arctic Office / AWI, Germany)
- Anne-Lill Drugge (Centre for Sami Research (Cesam) – Vaartoe, Sweden)
- Gail Fondahl (University of Northern British Columbia, Canada)
- Rasmus Bertelsen (UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway)
Message copied from the APECS international announcement.
Next week, some of you may be heading to the European Geophysical Union meeting in Vienna.
With its thousands of participants and all its parallel sessions, it’s easy to feel lost during this meeting, especially if it is your first time. But do not worry – we’ve compiled a list of activities for you.
Warning: this list is *slightly* biased towards the Cryosphere division…
You have not come to Vienna to spend your time with your officemates! Get out and meet new people:
- Sunday: from 16.00, pre-ice breaker meet-up, organised by the Cryosphere division. Location yet to be determined, so check the page of the event.
- Tuesday: lunch meeting for anyone interested in joining the author team of the best blog of the EGU network. Practical info to come.
- Thursday: APECS panel at 15.30, followed by the APECS-Cryo night out
- All week long: poster session from 17.30, drinks are served and conversations in the middle of the aisle are strongly encouraged
You can always find a session of talks that is remotely relevant to your research. But sometimes, you need a bit of break. Check the EGU programme for the list of short courses, they really are diverse! E.g:
Keep an eye on the list of medal lectures as well. Their names are not very explicit though, so take the time to check the abstract.
Meet the APECS Sweden members
That I know, four of the board members will be attending:
And finally, take the time to explore Vienna! Your EGU participant badge gives you unlimited access to public transport from Monday to Friday, so take a break and visit this beautiful city and its museums, concerts, parks, restaurants, cafés…